Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Tutorial: How to make a chimney sweep for a Halloween costume

I had seen Mary Poppins and Burt costumes but didn't know where to get or how to make a chimney sweep!
I knew it was obviously possible to either make or buy one.
I searched online and found a site where a lady explained how she made one so now I want to show you how I made mine!
So much easier than I would have thought.

I started with a broom and styrofoam that I bought from the Dollar Tree.
I took the broom apart and hot glued the styrofoam to the end of the broom that didn't have the handle.
I then cut the bristles off.



I took it all out side to spray paint the broom and stryofoam black.


After they were painted I began to stick the bristles into the stryofoam.


After I finished the bristles, I spray painted them black as well.


I let is sit outside while we got dressed in our costumes.
Here is the finished product!


He looked so handsome.
If we were back in the day, I would still be head over heels for this chimney sweep.
There you have it, your very own chimney sweep!

8 comments:

preciouscurtis said...

It never crossed my mind that a fireplace inspection could be a new Halloween costume. For sure, I'll be the most different one, and now I have an additional detail to make more stunning and look horrifying for Halloween.

Ruby Walters said...

This is a great idea! I am going to tell my husband about this--I always tell him that he reminds me of Burt from Mary Poppins. I was actually searching for a place that does chimney inspection in cincinnati oh but I am so glad that I found your blog!

Très bien said...

*Ruby: I'm glad you found it too! :]

LMW said...

So glad I found this - I have to make some chimney sweep brooms for a play and this saves me so much think/design time! THANKS!

lola davis said...

Thanks for sharing! This page was very informative and I enjoyed it. chimney sweeps Peabody MA

mason richard said...

I would like to appreciate your work and would like to tell to my friends.

chimney sweeper Rochester NY

Jodi said...

I realize this post is years old, but I just found it. I'm working with a community theater as Props Master and we're doing a production of Mary Poppins this summer. I was looking for props online and came across your chimney sweep tutorial. It's very likely we'll be making a bunch of these for the show. Thanks for the instructions!

Très bien Gambino said...

*Jodi: That's great! Glad you found it helpful!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...